How to Apply
We are still seeking great applicants! Apply by December 15th for priority consideration.
- Step 1: Gather your materials.
- Step 2: Apply to MSU.
- Step 3: Apply to the MET and to Shackouls Honors College.
- Step 4: Submit two letters of recommendation to the MET office.
For more information about each of these steps, please see the information below.
We strongly encourage students to start gathering their application materials ahead of time, so that you are fully prepared and have time to collect everything you need. Please see the eligibility requirements and the application requirements for detailed information on what you will need to submit.
Step 1: Gather Materials
You will need the following materials to apply for the scholarship:
- High school transcript
- Community college transcript (if applicable)
- Resume Information
- Recognitions and awards earned
- Leadership positions
- Service activities or volunteer history
- Employment history
- Two letters of recommendation
- Provide a personal statement to let us know more about yourself. (200 words)
- I am passionate about becoming an English or mathematics teacher in Mississippi because... (500-700 words)
Step 2: Apply to MSU
To apply to Mississippi State, complete the Admissions Application.
In addition to the completed on-line application, you will need to submit the following:
- Official American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores. Please note: if you decide to retake the test, you can continue to send your higher scores to MSU until February of your senior year.
- Official high school transcript (through your junior year); faxed transcripts will not be accepted.
- Official transcripts from any college or university attended; faxed transcripts will not be accepted. An applicant may not ignore previous college attendance and MUST list all colleges attended on the application for admission.
If you would like more information about being admitted to Mississippi State University, please see the Office of Admissions website.
Step 3: Applying to the MET & Shackouls
Once you have been fully admitted to Mississippi State, you will receive an official admission letter with your net ID and password. You can use this information to log in to the student portal, myState. If you would prefer, you may also apply to the MET using our paper application.
Once you've logged in to myState, the METP application will be the very last button on the right, as in the picture below.
All students who are part of the Mississippi Excellence in Teaching Program will also participate in the Shackouls Honors College and must complete their application. For more information, please visit the Shackouls Honors College website.
Step 4: Recommendation Letters
Please send two letters of recommendation. It is important that you solicit recommendations from teachers who have taught you in academic subjects, who know you well, and who have seen you at your best. Please ask your teachers for letters of recommendation well in advance of application deadlines to give them ample time to write a strong letter for you.
Letters should should be addressed as follows:
METP Application Review Committee
332 Allen Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Scholarship application review begins in January, with finalist interviews beginning in mid-Febraury. Recipients will be notified by early April.
Spring Admission: The MET program does not offer an application process for students wishing to enter college in the spring semester. If there are special circumstances surrounding your late application or if you have questions about applying, please call 662-325-5543.