Mississippi Excellence in Teaching Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of our most freqently asked questions, arranged by topic. If you have a question that we haven't answered, please ask!

Admissions and Applications

How do I get to the application?

The application will be available online through your myState portal (Banner) once you are admitted to the university. See our application information page for more details.

Do I need to have a certain GPA or test score?

Competitive applicants are expected to have an ACT composite score of 28 or a SAT score of 1250 and a high school GPA of at least 3.5. Standardized tests are just one component of a student’s application and are viewed within the context of the student’s entire file. We receive applications from many highly qualified students and standardized testing is one of many important factors considered in our holistic review.

Will I be required to declare a specific major?

Yes, all METP fellows must declare a major in secondary education with a concentration in either English or mathematics. However, students can also choose to dual major, or add a minor.

What if I change majors?

Upon leaving the program to pursue another field, awarded scholarships will be converted into loans and must be repaid within a set amount of time.

How will I know if I've been selected for the program?

We will announce the scholarship receipients on the METP website in the spring.

Return to the top of the page

MET Activities and Events

What activities will MET scholars be involved in each year?

There are a number of activities and events that MET scholars will participate in. Here is a tentative outline* of some the activities students will participate in:

* Please note: this is a tentative document intended to help you plan; activities and events are subject to change.

Return to the top of the page


I'd like to dual major, is that possible?

Yes. Students who choose to dual major must fulfill the requirements of both majors. Some majors share a great deal of coursework, while others are very difficult to balance with the obligations of a secondary education major. If this is something that interests you, please contact us for more detailed information.

Return to the top of the page

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Why do we have to sign loan documents?

The Mississippi Excellence in Teaching program is set up as a loan forgiveness program. If you fulfill the five year teaching committment, you will never have to pay any money for tuition or fees (which is noted in the loan documentation, of course). However, legally you must sign the loan documentation to acknowledge that if you don't fulfill the teaching committment, you agree to pay the money back.

What is the interest rate if I change programs and have to repay the loan?

The interest rate is three percent.

How much money do I get for textbooks, meals, and housing?

The financial aid office uses the published Cost of Attendance document to determine how much they will pay each semester for books, meals, housing, tuition, etc. For example, in the fall 2013 semester, they would pay $600 for textbook expenses.

What if I earned a scholarship through another organization, such as 4H or the Rotary Club?

Congratulations! The financial aid office will factor that amount into your award package. The Sponsored Student Programs office is the one that processes "external" scholarships (that is, scholarships that don't come from MSU). For more detailed information, please contact them.

Return to the top of the page

Shackouls Honors College

How do I apply to the Shackouls Honors College?

You may apply online here.

What are the requirements to stay in good standing in the Honors College?

In order to retain full privileges of the Honors College, you must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.4 and enroll in at least one graded, three-hour Honors course per calendar year.

How can I see what honors courses are offered?

The master class schedule will show you which honors courses are offered each semester. In the search criteria, select "HON: Honors College," and click the "Display Classes" button. Any section of a course that has an "H" prefix is an honors course.

Am I required to participate in the Cursus Honorum?

We encourage everyone to participate, but it is not required.

Return to the top of the page

Teaching Commitment

What is the teaching commitment for this program?

Upon joining our program, students make a commitment to teach in a Mississippi public school for five years after graduation. However, students can temporarily defer the teaching commitment to pursue graduate school.

Does the program pick the school that I teach in?

No. You must teach in a Mississippi public school to fulfill the teaching commitment, but there are no restrictions whatsoever on which districts or schools you may teach at.

Does MSU offer assistance in helping me find a teaching job?

Absolutely! We have a liaison from the Career Center who works exclusively with the College of Education to help our graduates find teaching positions. Mississippi State hosts an Education Interview Day event twice a year where graduates are given a chance to network and interview with school districts across the state of Mississippi.

Return to the top of the page